Sunday 29 December 2013

A realisation - becoming middle aged

I don't really like making new year's resolutions but I do have a guilty secret and that's compiling a list of things to do before I'm 40. I was thinking that I have a fair bit to go before that happens but then the other day I realised that I actually turn 35 in the summer. Eeek! I find that extremely hard to get my head around. Turning 30 was actually ok for me; I was pregnant, married, a house-owner, my health was stable and I had a job. So for me I felt I had achieved a lot of things I had wanted to do. It's entering the territory of 'middle aged' that scares me. It's stereotyping I know but the image I have in my head of someone middle aged is dowdy, dull and sensible. Far from what I believe I am and most of my friends the same age are (and in fairness most people who could be termed middle aged!). And I don't like labels and refuse to be boxed in by them, probably as much as I like to push against the label of ME/CFS! So I'm going to carry on as if I'm still 27 (this is the age in my head that I am stuck at). And although I haven't made resolutions for 2014, my main goal is to continue to be healthy, listen to my body and keep going with my meditation and yoga, as well as the practical - finding a new house!


I have a board on Pinterest that I'm using to collect all my ideas of what I would like to achieve before 40 (please check it out and follow me if you are on there):


  • Write a short story
  • Learn Spanish fluently - I did some night classes a few years ago but didn't keep it up
  • Learn Guitar - I'm fairly musical anyway and did some chords in my teenage years but would like to brush up
  • Go travelling - South America, The States - too many to name individually!
  • Learn to dance to Northern Soul
  • Have a vintage style makeover and photo shoot
  • Go skinny dipping - I've done wild swimming while camping but never naked! 

I'm sure I will add to that list but for now its all about not putting too much pressure on myself, keeping my health stable and trying to be the best mum I can be. Next year my little boy starts school which is also going to be very traumatic for me! 

Do you have goals, dreams, aspirations? Even with a chronic illness that fluctuates I still feel I need to keep positive and aim high! 

2 comments:

  1. I love your to do list before you're 40. It's fun! Like you my hope and main resolution for 2014 is to continue with improving health and to keep up the practices that are helping me such as meditation and yoga and yes that listening to my body chestnut - must keep working on that! I think with a chronic illness it's even more worthwhile having hopes and dreams, it keeps us on the positive path and gives something to aim for. Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and a happy new year to you too! Let's hope 2014 is a good one for us x

    ReplyDelete